The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has initiated a rulemaking (R.08.-12-009) to consider policies for California investor-owned electric utilities to develop a smarter electric grid in the state. The proceeding will consider setting policies, standards and protocols to guide the development of a smart grid system and facilitate integration of new technologies such as distributed generation, storage, demand-side technologies, and electric vehicles.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (“Recovery Act”) was signed into law by President Obama on February 17, 2009 (P.L.111-5). The Recovery Act allocates $4.5 billion to the Department of Energy’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability. These “Smart Grid” funds are to be used to develop a nationwide plan to modernize the electric grid, enhance security of U.S. energy infrastructure and ensure reliable electricity delivery to meet growing demand.
December 2010: 2010 Smart Grid Annual Report
June 24, 2010: CPUC Launches Plan to Modernize Electric Grid
December 29, 2009: CPUC Decision adopting policies and findings to fulfill the regulatory obligations imposed on states by the Energy Information and Security Act of 2007’s amendments to the Public Utilities Regulatory Policies Act.
September 10, 2009: CPUC Expedites Review Process for Smart Grid Funding Under Recovery Act
Previous Hearings and Events
Oct. 25-26, 2010, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m.: Smart Grid Workshop (R.08-12-009)
- Video Webcast (Day 1 only)
- This workshop addressed issues related to the creation of rules to allow for an authorized third-party to access a customers’ electric usage information and any associated privacy protections that should be implemented.
Sept. 28-29, 2010: NIST/CPUC Co-Sponsored Event on Cyber-Security and Privacy in the CPUC Auditorium at 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco. Both days were video webcast.
- March 17-19, 2010, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Public Workshop on Smart Grid technologies pursuant to Federal Legislation and on the CPUC's own motion to actively guide policy in California's development of a Smart Grid system.
- July 31, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Regulatory Approach (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- July 15, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Electric Vehicles (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- June 26, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Transmission and Energy Storage (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- June 5, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Distribution (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., S.F.
- May 27, 2009: Workshop on Smart Grid: Consumer Issues (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., S.F.
- April 21, 2009: Smart Grid Symposium
- March 27, 2009: Smart Grid Pre-Hearing Conference and Smart Grid Workshop
- Fact Sheet: California Leads the Nation in Modernizing its Electric Grid
- January 21, 2010: CPUC Approves PG&E Request to Match U.S. Department of Energy Award for Compressed Air Energy Storage Project
- Commissioner Chong's May 4, 2009, speech at the Power Association of Northern California titled, "Is Our Electric Grid Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"
- Documents and Decisions for CPUC Smart Grid Proceeding
- CPUC Rulemaking Opening a Smart Grid Proceeding
- Smart Grid Service List
- U.S. Department of Energy Information on Smart Grid Funding Opportunities
- CPUC Fact Sheet on Smart Grid, July 2010
California Energy Related Recovery Programs: